Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pretty little vases

So our church has been going through a lot of changes these last
few months.  Here is a little list:

-name change:
From Heritage Baptist Church to City on a Hill
-I was assigned as event coordinator
-there was a dress code change
-we are changing services
-we are starting a benevolent fund to help those out in our church and
surrounding neighborhood


I was trying to think of a cool way to collect this benevolent fund when I thought of the credit union I work at.  Lots of people bring in their spare change and get bills for it.Some people get hundreds of dollars!  I was like...hmmmm.....how can we do that with our church....what about a small competition between the older and younger people....whoever collects the most change wins and gets served at our Thanksgiving Potluck by the losing team....now I need a cool thing to collect it....


I spent about a week thinking about what I could collect it in and Joshua suggested a vase.  I was like, Ok.  How can we make it look cool?  Then I saw a twine wrapped cup on Pintereset and was inspired!




It was really easy!  The longest thing was cutting out the petals for the flowers...

Here's whatcha need:


 Twine
Hot Glue gun
Hot Glue sticks ( I used quite a bit so make sure you got a lot)
A vase


I was really meticulous and put quite a bit of glue...like three times a row...but that's just me.  I've read where people just put one dot of glue once a round...whatever floats your boat...


So, first things first.  Put some glue as close to the bottom of the vase as you want and secure the twine.



I put glue all around the bottom of the vase so it won't fall off.



Start winding the twine up the vase, securing it with the glue as you go.  Again, I put a lot of glue on, but put on as much as you like.


I only went half way, but just do it as much as you'd like.  Just cut and secure with glue when you want.






Now, I added flowers for accent, but forgot to take pictures of it.




I found a tutorial for the flowers here.  I love her blog and her etsy store!  Check her out while you're looking at her tutorial.


All I have to do now is add tags with the team names (Team Methuselah and Team Josiah) and then bring it to church to start the competition.

To get updates on our church and all the changes, follow us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment